Diagnosis, surgery, treatment, recovery — I’ve been there. Denial, negativity, anger, hope — I’ve felt those emotions. My personal journey through cancer began with a surgical biopsy three days before Christmas 2000. My book records my journey and provides inspiration, encouragement, and direction for any woman fighting cancer today. The book will also help family and friends understand what their loved ones are experiencing.
Contributing Author to the Following Books:
Yvonne’s Writing Topics
- Writing to Heal
- Writing a Nonfiction Book Proposal
- Writing Devotions
- Self-Editing for Writers
- Tackling Trauma
It’s been a joy to watch Yvonne’s ministry of writing, speaking, and teaching grow through the past ten or so years. Her genuine faith in Jesus Christ is obvious and compelling. Her workshops at the Colorado and Greater Philly Christian Writers Conference are enthusiastically received.
Marlene Bagnull, Litt.D.
Director, Colorado Christian Writers Conference
Founder & Director, Greater Philly Christian Writers Conference
If the slogan, “Big surprises come in small packages,” was descriptive of a man-made product, how much more does this expression apply to Yvonne Ortega. In the realm of Christian testimony, writing, teaching and speaking we can also attribute to her the expression, “Little is much when God is in it!”
When I met Yvonne, about 2004, she was a cancer survivor with a God-driven call to comfort and guide those going through what she had experienced. She had a story to tell. She was a writer wannabe looking for direction. For about 18 months she drove from Yorktown to Richmond to attend monthly Richmond Christians Who Write group meetings plus many weekend conferences. As she progressed in her own writing, God laid a burden on her heart to teach others all she was learning. From this beginning, Yvonne has grown into a respected author and sought after conference speaker/teacher.
Rev. Thomas C. Lacy, Founder
Richmond Christians Who Write
Yvonne Ortega spoke about writing devotionals at the first writers meeting I attended. She taught clearly with how-to steps that made it not seem overwhelming to me as a new writer. She was encouraging and inspirational in what she shared. It was evident to all that she not only cared about writing, but about writers and their growth.
Since then I’ve heard Yvonne speak numerous times on writing related topics and each time she shares a plethora of knowledge and useful information to writers.
Richmond Christians Who Write Co-Director
Yvonne is a gifted writer and speaker, addressing the heart needs of those whose lives she touches through the written and spoken word. She loves the Lord and is dedicated to spreading His Word through conferences, books, devotions, and witness. As a speaker she is organized, interesting, and extremely competent to address any group. I love to sit under her presentations and go home with much to think about and incorporate into my own life. Her words still echo with me. Her love for Christ has touched me and helped me in my quest to serve Him, and for that I am grateful for Yvonne.
Barbara Baranowski, Richmond Christians Who Write
Yvonne Ortega is a member and friend of the Maine Fellowship of Christian Writers, joining us for the first time more than a decade ago. Her joy, her devotion, and her enthusiasm make Yvonne a gifted workshop presenter at our annual conferences. Her excellent sessions involved scores of writers in crafting devotionals, in self-editing, and in preparing nonfiction book proposals. Her direct, hands-on approach leads to a rich understanding of the concepts of good writing, and her boundless enthusiasm for life in the face of affliction inspires us all.
Vicki Reynolds Schad, President Maine Fellowship of Christian Writers
Yvonne Ortega knows what writers need to polish their manuscripts and book proposals for publication. Her interactive workshops provide potential authors with the tools to help their work shine with professionalism. Yvonne’s expertise, gift of encouragement, and exuberance for life leave a lasting impression on those who learn from and know her. She is a sparkling gem!
Author Carla Olson Gade – Maine Fellowship of Christian Writers
Other Publications-Articles and Devotions
- Christians in Recovery
- Christian Communicator
- Spirit-Led Writer
- The Quiet Hour (Cook Communications Ministries)
- The Virginia Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors VAADAC VIEWS
- The Secret Place (Judson Press)
- Believe magazine, Virginia
- Maine Fellowship of Christian Writers Conference Anthology
Yvonne’s articles on the Overcoming Addictions-Help for Christians Blog at cbn.com
- Thanksgiving for Those in Recovery http://blogs.cbn.com/battlingaddictions/archive/2011/11.aspx
- The Struggle to Eat Right at Christmas Time http://blogs.cbn.com/battlingaddictions/archive/2011/12/17/the-struggle-to-eat-right-at-christmas-time.aspx
- Forgive Yourself
- Free Yourself by Forgiving Others http://blogs.cbn.com/battlingaddictions/archive/2012/03/16/free-yourself-by-forgiving-others.aspx
- When We Run from God http://blogs.cbn.com/battlingaddictions/archive/2012/04/12/when-we-run-from-god.aspx
- When You Have Nothing Left http://blogs.cbn.com/battlingaddictions/archive/2012/04/20/when-you-have-nothing-left.aspx
- Waiting Is Hard http://blogs.cbn.com/battlingaddictions/archive/2012/05/25/waiting-is-hard.aspx
- But I’m Not Drinking http://blogs.cbn.com/battlingaddictions/archive/2012/06/22/but-im-not-drinking.aspx
- I’m Stressed http://blogs.cbn.com/battlingaddictions/archive/2012/07/20/im-stressed.aspx
- Will the Cravings Ever Go Away?
- Handle Grief in a Healthy Way
Yvonne is also a frequent writer for Christians in Recovery® online.
She has presented writing workshops at the CLASS Christian Writers Conference in New Mexico, the Colorado Christian Writers Conference, the Greater Philadelphia Christian Writers Conference, the Maine Fellowship of Christian Writers, and the Richmond Christians Who Write Conference.
- Literary award, devotional writing, Maine Fellowship of Christian Writers Conference, 2002
- Persistence Award, American Christian Writers Conference (VA), for continuing to write during aggressive cancer treatment